CNBLL Rec-League Softball Playing Rules
These are the CNBLL Softball house-league rules. While traveling to other cities and towns, their rules may differ slightly from ours. Coaches, please make sure to check with other teams as to the differences and convey our rules when they visit our fields. These rules are in place to help our children learn the game of softball, not to abuse them in order to win games... the focus must be on the kids.
MOST IMPORTANT RULE:
- This is about the KIDS. Have fun and always play with that in mind. Arguing between Coaches, Players, Parents and Umpires will not be tolerated.
- Please keep the fields and dug-outs neat and clean.
Fast Pitch Rules: 14U and High School
Strict ASA rules will be enforced. Exception: free substitutions and continuous batting order are allowed.
Fast Pitch Rules: 10U and 12U
- ASA rules apply, unless otherwise stated.
- Continuous Batting order will be used.
- ASA umpires are being used.
- Pitching Rubber length: 35-feet for 10U and 40-feet for 12U. The measurement is from back (point) of home plate to the front of the pitcher's mound.
- 1st and 3rd base length: 60-feet from back (point) of home plate to the back of the base.
- Free defensive substitutions. Players must play the infield at least one (1) inning during the game.
- Stealing of home on a passed ball is NOT allowed.
- Stealing of home is allowed if the catcher or infielder throws to third in an attempt to tag the runner.
- Only one (1) base is allowed on any overthrow. It must be thrown away from the defensive player... dropping the ball or having it land a foot away from the defensive player is not an overthrow.
- Batters can run on a drop third-strike.
- Only four (4) runs per inning allowed.
- Slap Hitting allowed for 12U and up. For safety reasons, a batter cannot fake-bunt then slap-hit or swing. The batter shall be called out.
- Ninety-minute (90) time-limit. No new inning shall begin after and no drop-dead time.
- Unlimited Runs are allowed in the last inning of playoff games only.
- In 10U (4 outfielders), may begin with nine (9) players and can add 10th during game. In 12U (3 outfielders), may begin with eight (8) players and add 9th during game.
- Must use more than one (1) pitcher during the game. Limit of three (3) innings per game per pitcher (does not have to be consecutive).
- Mercy-rule: 12-runs after four (4) complete innings.
- You can take 2nd-base on walk while there is a runner on 3rd.
8U Coach-Pitch Rules
- Coach will pitch from 30-feet. Play will be stopped if a batted ball hits the adult pitcher, with all runners returning to their previous base and no pitch is declared.
- 1st and 3rd base length: 55-feet from back (point) of home plate to the back of the base.
- Games are seven (7) innings during the week, or one-hour-forty-five-minutes (1:45), but the ninety-minute (90) time-limit is in place for weekend games.
- Three (3) strikes swinging or a maximum of six (6) pitches allowed per batter, whichever comes first. No walks allowed. Batter is out if sixth-pitch is a foul-ball.
- If agreed by opposing coaches, some inexperienced players may be allowed six swinging strikes. This is for the players that need extra swings in order to make contact with the ball. It is customary to allow the same number of players for both teams, but should not be abused by coaches if a player does not need the help.
- Infield-fly rule is NOT in effect.
- Max of four (4) runs per inning for ALL innings. Run-ahead rule also in effect for all games (ie– if winning team's score cannot be caught).
- Batter and runners may only advance one (1) base on a ball hit to the infield and a total of two (2) bases on balls that reach the outfield grass, whether in the air or on the ground. No advancement at all allowed on any overthrows.
- The batter and runner(s) shall all advance two (2) bases if any batted ball hits an opposing team coach in the field of play.
- Teams may use five (5) infielders (includes over-the-middle player), five (5) outfielders and a player to field the pitching position. Outfielders must have two (2) feet touching the grass. Outfielders may not receive a throw at any base, but may make unassisted plays at any base.
- A catcher may be brought into the game in bases loaded situations only. She must wear a catcher's mask and stand to the side opposite the batter and to the side of the adult catcher.
- Every player must play at least one (1) inning in the infield by the fifth inning. There are no excuses not to do so. Each player MUST play at least every other inning in the field. We have continuous batting and free substitution.